Friday, July 1, 2011

On The Road Again - Telluride to Tahoe


Day 12 (Telluride/Durango/Salt Lake City)

We awoke to snow on the pines and the rooftops in town, much different than what was happening back in San Antonio. Adam, Daryl, and myself took the Gondola up to Mountain Village to retrieve our cars, and soon we were packed up and headed out of town. Adam had a plane to catch (he hoped) in Durango, but it wasn’t until 5, so we decided to take the longer way home, up and over the million dollar highway, passing through Ouray and Silverton. The Hardrock 100 Endurance Run is my #1 goal (all I need to do is get lucky in their lottery), and it starts and finishes in Silverton, an old mining down deep in the heart of the San Juan Mountains. Needless to say, I was pumped to get to pass through the area, and it certainly didn’t disappoint. We stopped in Silverton for lunch, and soon after I dropped Adam off at the airport and made my way to Utah, Salt Lake City to be exact. I pulled into my hotel around midnight and fooled around trying to get my car situated for 3 people (I would be picking up Chris and Liza the next day and driving to California). I crawled in bed for a few hours sleep, prepared to run part of the Wasatch 100 course the next morning.


(Snow on top of Red Mountain Pass)

(Looking Down On Silverton, CO)

Day 13 (Wasatch Mountains/Lake Tahoe)

My alarm went off at 5:30AM, but I quickly hit snooze, as I was still exhausted from all the driving and too many late night bluegrass concerts. I “slept in” until 7:”30, grabbed the free hotel breakfast, and was on my way to Millcreek Canyon, which marks the start of mile 61 in the Wasatch 100, which I completed in 2009 and will be doing again this September. I had planned on running from the Millcreek aid station up over to see Dog and Desolation Lakes. Unfortunately, the massive snow that was still present in these mountains caused the park service to close the gate halfway up the canyon, meaning I would have to run 5 miles (each way) just to get to the trail. After a couple miles, I saw a sign for Lambs Canyon. Knowing this too was part of the race course, I opted to hop on the trail and head up and over the pass and down to the canyon below. I had run this trail before, but last time it had been dark and from the opposite direction. It had also been my lowest moment (physically and mentally) in the Wasatch 100, one that I had tried to block from my memory. Apparently I had blocked out the fact that the trail was both ridiculously steep and very narrow. It was barely wide enough to be called singletrack. This was exactly what I needed. As I was nearing the top of the pass, I noticed a bunch of snow on the trail. No big deal, I could handle this. After making it halfway across, I started to slide. I managed to stop myself, only to slide further down when I moved again. I was now 10 feet below the trail and dangerously close to sliding another 20 feet below. After gathering myself and checking my options, I decided to dig my heels deep in the snow and slowly scoot my way back across to where I had started. After several minutes, I made it across, happy to be safely on solid (and dry) ground. I ran back the way I had come and pondered my options. A couple guys out for a mountain bike ride told me of another trail that shot straight up the canyon, offering sweeping views of the world below. It was very steep, they warned me. Perfect! They weren’t kidding. This trail was as steep as any I had ever been on, and the views made all the pain disappear. Moments like these justify my running in the mountains. For a brief second, time stands still, and all my worries are forgotten. I am immersed in the here and now, swept up in the beauty of the mountains around me. This is where I am happy.


(What I Slid Down)

(Steep Ascent)

(View Form The Top)

After descending the trail and returning to my car, I headed to the airport and picked up Chris and Liza, 2 of my good friends from San Antonio. We would be driving just over 8 hours to South Lake Tahoe, which would be our home base for the next 4 days as we prepared for the Western States Endurance Run. Liza was supposed to run (and contend for the women’s title), but ultimately would have to bow out with a fractured foot. I was happy to have 2 friends to share laughs with and help pass the time. I don’t mind driving alone, but it sure helps to have other people in the car. Just after 10PM, we pulled into the Marriott Timber Lodge in Tahoe and retired for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment