Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back To Eugene

Day 28 (Seattle/Eugene)

Nothing exciting happened today. I woke up (still very tired from concert and sleeping on a cot) and drove to Eugene. I wish I could make it sound more glamorous, but that’s really about it. I did hit 5,500 miles of driving, so that was fun.

Day 29 (Eugene)

I met Calvin this morning for another run. This time it was on my turf, the trails! We drove to the Ridgeline Trail and headed up to the top of Spencer Butte, roughly 2 miles and 1,000’ vertical away. I knew my only chance of staying with Calvin would be to hammer the downhills, since he is more accustomed to running on road rather than trails. I was surprised at how beautiful the views from the top of the butte were. I forgot to take my camera but will go back tomorrow and post pictures. Sweeping views of the mountains to the south and rolling green hills all around. We added an extra out and back section to give us an even 8 miles on the day. I then dropped Calvin off and went to get a haircut at South Eugene barbers. Getting a haircut at an unfamiliar place can be tricky, but I’m not too particular about how I look. Short hair and don’t mess with the beard. He obliged. Dropped my car off at the Subaru dealership (shares parking lot with my hotel) to get my oil changed (yeah, it’s been a long trip) and grabbed a shrimp and chicken pizza nearby. Did some laundry and have been trying to organize my car ever since (no luck so far). Just another nice day in Eugene. I love little college towns like this. I’ll be here until Saturday morning and then will head to Calvin’s parents’ house in Sunriver (via Bend and a stop to run the McKenzie River Trail along the way) for a few days. Then back to Lake Tahoe for my 100 mile stroll through the woods. I can’t wait. My legs have never felt this strong. I’m curious to see how it translates over that kind of distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment