Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Best Run Ever???

Day 22 (Yosemite National Park)

Best run ever? I would hazard a guess that most ultra runners could rattle off a few of their favorite runs, maybe even remember one or two that they would classify as the “best ever”. For me, the criteria for a great run must fit within two categories – physical and mental state of mind. A great run is one on which my body feels good and my stomach isn’t testy. In addition, I must be in a good mental state of mind, which can be a result of the setting I am in, the music I am listening to, or the ability to shut of all outside distractions and just be in the moment. In the rare case that all of these things click on the same day, I am setting myself up for a great run. Our last day in Yosemite provided me such a run.

After a day of cold rain, I awoke (sleeping bag was still a little wet from the previous day) to a cool, crisp, blue sky. The forecast called for clear skies with a high around 75 degrees. Perfect running weather. I had a rough idea of the route I wanted to do for my long run today, hitting much of the same trail Chris and I ran on Tuesday. I was excited about today, unlike Tuesday when I was in a foul mood. I geared up and jogged the ¾ mile from our tent to the Four Mile Trailhead, ready to being my climbing for the day. The plan was to log 6-7 hours in the mountains, and I knew I would be going up or down most of the day. Not too many flat trails here. Certainly none that I wanted to run. I started with a nice 6+ mile hike up the mountain, ascending over 4,200’. Once on top of Sentinel Dome, I was treated to (in my opinion after having been here 4 days) the best view in the park, and quite possibly one of the best views I have ever seen in my life. At over 8,100’ feet, Sentinel Dome affords hikers 360 degree views of the entire park. This would never get old.


(Four Mile Trailhead)

I paused for a few pictures (as if I hadn’t taken enough already) and my way back down to Glacier Point, where I would hang a right and hop onto the Panorama Trail. I was really excited about this section today. It was my kind of trail – smooth dirt, with just enough rock to keep things interesting. I passed numerous people out enjoying a hike in the beautiful weather. My friend Joe once told me before the Portland Marathon that I should try to have fun a smile during the race because we are lucky to get to do these things (long runs) and not everyone has such an opportunity. I totally agree and try to say hello to everyone I pass when I am out for a run. This can get exhausting at a place like Yosemite, where (in a 7 hour run) one might pass hundreds of people. I had a great time seeing people, greeting them with a quick “hello”, which was often returned with a stunned look (that I was running these hills). Anyway, I was having so much fun!


(View of El Capitan From Sentinel Dome)

Down Panorama to the falls, up 700’ and then down again to Nevada Fall. I had seen the falls 2 days prior, so I didn’t linger too long, turning around after a couple quick photos. Here’s where the really confused looks began. As I hiked back up (only to run back down to the other falls), I passed many of the same people I had said hi to only minutes earlier. I was greeted with many of the usual questions (how far, why, what are you training for, etc.), which most ultra runners are used to. The climb up Panorama to Glacier Point was exposed to the sun and getting a bit warm (I’ll get no sympathy from my San Antonio friends for saying that).

I filled up my bottles, bought 2 Gatorades, and ate a Clif Bar at Glacier Point before making a return trip up to the top of Sentinel Dome. I had run 20+ miles at this point, but my legs felt good, and my mind felt totally fresh and ready for more. Just before the turn the takes you up the final ascent of Sentinel, I decided to explore the trail to the right, which led out to Taft Point. I quickly descended the forested singletrack, taking me deep into the woods and away from the crowds – PERFECT! Well, it was perfect until I ran into snow and fallen trees. After several of these, I turned around, headed back up the same trail, and made one last ascent to my favorite Yosemite spot, Sentinel Dome. I could have stayed here forever. The weather was perfect, I was having fun, and I knew we were leaving tomorrow. I was, however, excited about the 6.2 mile, 4200’ descent I had to finish out the run. Not wanting to delay my fun any longer, I bombed down the hill, passing more people along the way. When the dust had settled, I had logged 30 miles in just over 7 hours, netting close to 17,000’ of vertical elevation change, quite a burly run.

(Me On Top of Sentinel Dome)

I can’t begin to describe how perfect this run was. My body felt great the entire time, my stomach never revolted, and my mental frame of mind was fantastic as well. I was able to push out all the unnecessary junk in my head and just enjoy the here and now. Running in such a beautiful setting has a way of clearing my mind and making things right. I only wish I had mountains in my backyard. Hopefully some day soon.


(Half Dome In the Evening Sun)

I enjoyed a couple local brews at the campsite, then joined Chris for a much-deserved pizza. We then headed to Camp Curry and the showers. I had 4 days of dirt and sweat built up (nice mental image) and needed my first shower since Monday. Warm water has never felt so good. We then headed back to the tent and sat around the fire with our neighbors, telling stories and having a great time.


(Some Local Flavor - Not All At Once :))

(Sign Outside Showers)

No comments:

Post a Comment