Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Freaks, Fairs, and Beautiful Runs


Day 30 (Eugene)

I liked the Ridgeline Trail so much that I met up with Calvin for round 2 on Friday. We again ran to the top of Spencer Butte (a 1,000’ climb), but this time I remembered my camera and took pictures. A nice jog down and then more exploring (we took the wrong trail) on the other side of the road. Total was just over 7 miles with nearly 2,500’ of vertical change. A quick shower and then headed to the Oregon Country Fair, which can only be described as the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Imagine thousands of hippies in the woods of Oregon at a music/arts/crafts festival. Words can’t do it justice. I loved it! I definitely plan on going back. Saw some good bands, did lots of people watching, and ate good food. Not a bad day.


(Ridgeline Trail Headed Up To Spencer Butte)

(Looking Down On Eugene From Spencer Butte)

(Calvin and I On Top Of Spencer Butte)

(Typical Oregon Fair Wackiness)



Day 31 (Eugene/McKenzie Trail/Sunriver)

Saturday began with a trip to Eugene’s Saturday Market, which is an arts and crafts market held every weekend. There is also a great farmers market across the street, where I bought some local honey and cherry jelly. Can’t wait to try it! A quick bite to eat and then on the road to Sunriver, a resort just south of Bend. Calvin’s parents were gracious enough to offer up their place, and I was excited to see it. Before Sunriver I had to make a stop for a nice 7 mile run along the McKenzie River on the famous McKenzie River Trail. This trail was every bit as beautiful as the reviews made it out to be. Pristine singletrack along the river, smooth in places but with enough roots and rocks to keep you focused. After seeing the waterfalls in Telluride and Yosemite, I wasn’t expecting to be impressed by the falls of Oregon, but I was wrong. What struck me was the crystal clear water cascading down. I had never seen such clear water. Amazing. There was even some lava rock to negotiate. Hopped back in the car and drove to Sunriver, stopping to admire the snow-capped peaks all around. What a beautiful place.


(Typical McKenzie River Trail Terrain)


(Falls Along McKenzie River)

(Running On Lava Rock Was Interesting)


(The 3 Sisters - Near Bend, OR)

No comments:

Post a Comment