Friday, July 15, 2011

Back To Tahoe


Day 35 (Sunriver/Lake Tahoe)

Nothing exciting to report about today, unless you consider driving 8+ hours from Oregon to Lake Tahoe exciting. The views were great, and I got to stop at REI in Reno. Otherwise, pretty boring J The snow has certainly melted a great deal since I was in Tahoe 3 weeks ago, but there is still plenty of it to be found. I love the contrast of the snow-covered peaks looming over the crystal blue waters of Lake Tahoe. It’s like a bigger version of Crater Lake in Oregon. Beautiful. If I can just stay sane during these final few days…

Day 35 (Lake Tahoe)

Woke up to cool temps and crystal blue skies in Tahoe yesterday. Went to eat at my favorite breakfast place, the Driftwood, and had the Chris Russell special – pancakes, eggs, and ham (he gets the bacon there). Loaded up and headed to Eagle Falls. Chris and I had hiked/run there exactly 3 weeks prior, and I was itching to get back. The parking lot was full (at 9:45AM), but the trail was not nearly as crowded as the last time I hiked this section, which was very nice. Hiked up to Eagle Lake and down to the shore. I could have stayed here for hours. Turned around and headed back, not wanting to give in to the temptation to hike to another lake (or 2).


(Lake Tahoe)

(Eagle Lake)


(Beautiful Tahoe Sunset)

The rest of the day was spent lounging around the pool and preparing my drop bags for tomorrow’s race. I’m nervous, but more so about my lingering head cold and the snow fields we will have to cross during the race. The race director sent an email warning of “several awkward side hill snow drifts” and that following flagging could be difficult in sections. Yikes!

(Section of the Course)

Pre-race check in, medical check, and briefing happens this afternoon. Until then, it’s back to the Driftwood, nap, and final preparations for my 30+ hour jaunt in the mountains of Lake Tahoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment