Sunday, August 5, 2012

Final Days

During my last days in Ouray, I scrambled to get in as much as possible, and that included hitting some new trails, of which there were so many to try.  I decided to visit Chief Ouray’s mine high above town, and boy am I glad I did.  With the trailhead located (literally) right on my door, all I had to do was walk outside and start climbing (sounds like the beginning of every other trail in town).  The climb up to 10,000’ was tough because my legs were feeling pretty flat, but the return trip was nothing short of spectacular.  After visiting the mine and carving my name in Chief Ouray’s house, I put in my headphones and bombed down the smooth singletrack back to the house, passing no one on the way down. 
            On my final day in town, I went out exploring again, taking a few familiar trails until I found a new one that led to the old Alpine Mine and Weehawken Creek.  The overlook into town was one of the best I’d seen all summer, and the singletrack that snaked through the aspens was second to none.  Yes, I’m going to miss this place, but I know in my heart that I will most definitely be back.


(Red Mountain Seen From Chief Ouray Mine Trail)


(Chief Ouray's House) 



(Visitors In My Yard)

(Trail Leading Up To Alpine Mine and Weehawken Creek)


(First Overlook Where I Sat For Awhile)

(Alpine Mine Ruins) 

(Looking Down Into Ouray From Alpine Mine Overlook) 


(Heavenly Singletrack) 

(Resting at Weehawken Creek)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian, I am planning to put on a 100 mile ultramarathon next summer out of Ouray. The route I'm looking at includes the section of Weehawken/Alpine Mine Trail you have here. Would you be willing to let me use some of these photos on the website I'm building? I want the runners to have an idea what the route looks like, and at this point it's too late in the season for me to get up there myself with a camera. And your pictures happen to be awesome. I would of course give you credit for the photos, and would be happy to put a link to your blog. Let me know either way. Thanks! -Charles

    ReplyDelete