Friday, June 22, 2012

Telluride

My first experience in the San Juan Mountains was several years ago when I attended my first Telluride Bluegrass Festival.  Ever since I have been hooked on the San Juans, and even more so with the town of Telluride.  There is just something magical about that place.  Nestled in a box canyon, surround by mountains and waterfalls, it just feels right there.  Since I am running the San Juan Solstice 50 this weekend, I could only spend a few days in Telluride for the festival, but some time there is better than none.  Hoping to squeeze in a run up to Blue Lakes on the way out of town, I geared up and made the drive, only to puncture my tire about a mile from the trailhead, delaying my departure by a day.  Luckily there is a tire repair place in Ouray, where I was told the owner's "little vegan buddy" could help me out.  I still had a blast, saw some great music, and solidified my love for Telluride.  It is still my favorite place in the world, no question about it.


(Non-repairable)

(Right next to campground)

 (Lawson Hill Campground)

(View of Telluride from gondola) 


(Best festival on the planet) 

(Maiden voyage of my new tent!)

2 comments:

  1. If I go vegan again, will you refer to me as your "little vegan buddy?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I can see it now.

    New Runner: "I'd sure like to run up these hills, but all you, Chris, and Larry do is hike (aka "walk") them".

    Me: "No problem. My little vegan buddy over there likes to run hills. Go hang out with her".

    ReplyDelete