Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Wasatch In Pictures (And a few words)


I never really got around to writing a proper Wasatch race report.  It seems that life (and laziness) just got in the way.  The short version goes a little something like this.  Summer training was great, but things got crazy once school started, so training took a backseat.  A week before the race I got sick, culminating with my waking up on race morning with a fever and feeling lousy.  This feeling never really got better, and I was fully prepared to drop at mile 35.  Luckily for me, this aid station was on top of a mountain ridge, meaning I’d have to hike another 5 miles down the mountain before I could drop.  With the help of my crew and pacers (without whom I would not have finished), I somehow stumbled my way to an agonizing 35+ hour finish.  Here are a few pictures.


(Hiking towards Chinscraper in the early morning dawn)

(Chinscraper)



(Feeling lousy - again - on highest point on course) 

(Pretty much how I felt all race) 

(My second pacer, Rachael from Idaho) 


(Taking a break on the trail) 




(I look forward to Ant Knoll AS at mile 80 every year)

(Rachael plunging down The Dive)

1 comment:

  1. So easy to drop. So many good reasons to stop. So hard to finish. No good reasons to continue. Your will to finish despite the illness & all the other reasons o stop in a 100miler is to be admired. Hope I can be there for #10

    ReplyDelete