Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Scott Jurek and Spaghetti Squash

 (Scott Jurek answering questions at Luke's Locker in Austin)


This past Sunday my traveling buddy (Lester) and I headed up to Austin to meet Scott Jurek, who was in town for an event.  In addition to getting him to sign my copy of his book, I wanted to ask him a few questions about a new line of hydration packs Ultimate Direction has come out with.  I had met Scott a couple times before, and the one thing that strikes me about him is how unbelievably friendly and down to earth he is.  For a guy who won 7 straight Western States titles, he is very humble and eager to share his knowledge with runners of all abilities.  After answering general questions, he signed books and took pictures.  Lester and I ran a few errands while we were in Austin and ended up bumping into Scott at Whole Foods.  Again, super nice guy.
While at Whole Foods I picked up a spaghetti squash, something I had read about lately but never experienced myself.  I finally got around to cooking it last night, and all I can say is “Why the heck have I not tried one until now???”  These things are amazingly easy to cook, and the taste is great.  They make a great substitute for pasta (more on my nutritional overhaul in an upcoming post) and pack a ton of nutrients.  Cooking these gems will definitely become part of my weekly routine. 
 


(Lester enjoying the breeze)

While at Whole Foods I picked up a spaghetti squash, something I had read about lately but never experienced myself.  I finally got around to cooking it last night, and all I can say is “Why the heck have I not tried one until now???”  These things are amazingly easy to cook, and the taste is great.  They make a great substitute for pasta (more on my nutritional overhaul in an upcoming post) and pack a ton of nutrients.  Cooking these gems will definitely become part of my weekly routine. 
 
(My new treat)

No comments:

Post a Comment