Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Introverts Revisited

There has been much talk within our group (and elsewhere) lately (both on trailrunnernation.com and lizahoward.com) about trail runners being introverts. Sure, we all know loquacious (big word) people who love to run trails, but deep down we all seem to love the solitude that long trail runs bring. We like running with other people, but at the root of our running lies the desire to set out alone, explore new terrain, and enjoy nature. I too love running with friends, but I cherish the moments I spend solo on the trails. There are few things in life that I enjoy more than a good trail run on a beautiful day, music rushing through my headphones. Throw in some mountain singletrack, and I’m in heaven.

This past weekend brought some of the most beautiful weather I could ever imagine. The skies were blue and clear, the air cool and crisp. Over the span of my 2 runs, I logged a total of 35 miles in Bandera and at McAllister Park, and I enjoyed every step I took. Having spent nearly every recent long run as part of a group, I had almost forgotten how enjoyable running alone can be. I do my best thinking when I run solo, seemingly solving every problem in my life. Things seem so much simpler and clear when I’m out on the trail. All my worries go away. Even if it’s only momentarily, life is perfect. Yes, I’m definitely an introvert.

1 comment: