Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Race Schedule

As I sat down to look at my proposed 2012 race schedule, I was faced with the same problem as always – so many races, not enough time (or money). I feel that as soon as I check one race off my list, I add three more. I enjoy “racing”, but I generally just like running races to see new scenery and get in a supported run. I tend to pick 3-4 big races a year to focus on, using the rest as training runs. That being said, I’ve put together a tentative list (on the right) of races I’d like to tackle in 2012. I’m sure I will add (or subtract) one or two along the way, but I’m really excited about the schedule I have set out for myself.

I will once again kick off my year with the familiar Bandera 100K. I love Bandera. It’s where we log most of our miles, and Joe P puts on a first class event. Next will be another round of pacing at Rocky Raccoon. I managed to pace 2 folks last year and plan on doing the same this year. Prickly Pear is another local race, one which I am not super fond of (3 loops on relatively flat terrain). I feel bad not running it since it is the only ultra in San Antonio, and I like to support the RD Bill. Depending on our track schedule, I hope to tackle the nasty Zane Grey 50 in Arizona in April for the first time. It sounds like my kind of fun. The summer is filled with mountains, lots of them. I will focus on the San Juan Solstice 50 (another race I have yet to run) in Lake City, CO, but I will sprinkle in some other “races” and pacing duties as well. Finally, I plan on running my big race (100 miles) sometime in September. Once I nail down my team’s cross country schedule, I will know more, but I am hoping to run Superior Sawtooth in Minnesota. Although somewhat under the radar, this one looks like a beast, with a cutoff of 38 hours.

Flat out, I love to run. Running has taken me to great places, and I look forward to many more such adventures in 2012 and beyond.

(Typical Bandera trail)

(Zane Grey)

(San Juan Solstice)

(Superior Sawtooth)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog. Which school are you the cross country coach at? I went to Lee HS a long time ago.

    Jeff Farrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff. Thanks for reading. I teach/coach at Alamo Heights HS.

    ReplyDelete