Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Leadville Bound

My friend Dave informed me last week that he was in need of a pacer for this year’s Leadville 100 trail race and asked if I might be interested. I have run in Leadville before, and I have paced the race (2008). If you’ve ever been to Leadville, you know it is a beautiful place and a fun little mining town. My only concern is that Dave is fast – really fast. He regularly finishes in the top 3 in local 50K and 50 mile races. I, on the other hand, regularly finish WAAAAAY behind Dave. And he needs me for the hardest section of the course (return trip over Hope Pass). Did I mention the race is run at an elevation mostly over 10,000’? After much debate, I decided it was really a no brainer. Of course I will go to Leadville to pace Dave. It’s a great experience to pace someone in a 100 mile race, but even better when it’s in the Colorado Rockies.

(Nearing the Top of Hope Pass at the 2008 Training Camp)

(Looking Over Hope Pass at Twin Lakes)

Since I dragged my feet on making a decision (that comes as no surprise to anyone who knows me), flight prices had risen since the time I first checked them. No good. So what did I do? Of course, I delayed even longer, did some stuff around the house, etc. I finally sat down to actually book my flight, and the prices had dropped over $100!!! They are cheaper today than at any time in the previous few weeks. So, I’m headed to Leadville! Can’t wait to sip on a coffee from Provin’ Grounds and eat a pizza from High Mountain Pies. Should be fun.

(Me On Top of Hope Pass in 2008)


No comments:

Post a Comment