Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sweating In Bandera

Having done hard hill repeats and a leg workout over the previous 2 days, I wasn’t expecting much from my 15 mile run at Bandera yesterday. And that is exactly what I got. After a few hours of sleep, my alarm went off just before 3AM. I groggily rolled out of bed, did some last-minute packing, and was on my way to our usual meeting spot, the Exxon at Bandera/1604. Tim hopped in the car, and Rich (new the group, having just completed a 100 mile solo run around Town Lake in Austin a few weeks ago) followed behind. After a few near misses with deer, we were at Hill Country State Natural Area, where Robert was waiting for us.

We hit the trails for 10-15 miles, starting with the section that would take us up and over Lucky’s Peak, then Cairn’s Climb, followed by Boyle’s Bump. I knew from the start it would be a long morning. The sky was overcast and dark, but the humidity was brutal, worse than normal it seemed. I was drenched within minutes, and my energy was never really there. Once we had finished the loop and reached the junction of Sky Island and Trail 5, we bid farewell to Robert, and the 3 of us that remained headed towards Trail 1. Once at Trail 1, Rich veered left to head back to the car (another 2 miles), while Tim and I hung a right with the intention of taking Trail 1 to Trail 7,, about 5 miles back to the car. I had been lagging behind Tim and Robert most of the morning, and things just kept getting worse. I had zero energy. I told Tim to run ahead since he seemed to be feeling good. Not long after Tim took off, I made the decision to turn around and head back via Trail 1, the “easier” return trip. I just lacked the energy and desire to fight the trail.

Although disappointed with my effort, one thing I have learned over the years is that you will have good days and you will have bad ones. The key is to not get too high or too low. Enjoy the good days, learn from the bad, but don’t dwell too long on either. Tomorrow will bring a new run. I had fun hanging out with Tim and Robert, and Rich had some good stories from hjs days in the Air Force. Only a few more days until I head West to cooler temps and low humidity. After yesterday, I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment