Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Guads 2013 - Part 1


(Hunter Peak)

It’s been 5 months since I was last running in “real” mountains, and I had the itch.  I knew I had to get into some thin mountain air.  It would be good for my body and my mind.  Something about the mountains makes me feel whole.  I had originally planned on going solo, but when my friend Dave said he could go, I rearranged my schedule and headed out Saturday afternoon.  I could ramble on and on about what we saw, but the short version goes like this.  We drove 7 hours (including one stop by the highway patrol) to sleep under the stars and run 21 miles of gnarly mountain trail, some of which took us through patches of snow.  We then hopped back in the car to drive 7 hours home.  Yes, we drove 14 hours to run 21 miles, and it was worth every second. 
 


(Beautiful Sunrise)

(Looking At El Capitan From Guad Peak)

 (Looking Up Bear Canyon)


 (Looking Down Bear Canyon From the Top)

 (On Top of Hunter Peak w/ Guad Peak Over My Shoulder)

 (So Much Fun)
(Luckily Just A Warning)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brian this is Jon not sure if you remember me or not but we met at the Ouray aid station while you and my Uncle (Maple) were working the aid station. Next time you go to the Guads holler at me. I live just a few miles from there and several of us from Carlsbad run up there often. Your welcome to stay at my place anytime you would like.
    You going to spend any time in Ouray this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon -

    Good to hear from you. I'll definitely let you know the next time I'm out that way. I love the Guads. Won't be in Ouray this summer, but I plan to hit CO a bit. You?

    ReplyDelete