Thursday, November 17, 2011

No Western States For Me


Western States is the granddaddy of all 100 milers. It’s the oldest and arguably has the most storied history. It’s the Boston Marathon of ultras. For the past 2 years I have put my name into the WS lottery, only to see others get drawn, leaving me pondering my summer racing schedule. I had the opportunity to pace/crew at Western States this past summer, and I was impressed by the pageantry, the buzz that surrounded the race, and the sheer size of the operation. Maybe it was this experience that changed my mind about running it myself.

After much thought, I have decided to not to enter this year’s lottery. I have several reasons for this. First, Hardrock is my #1 goal race – period. If I get into Hardrock, that will be my focus for the year. Second, my heart just isn’t into WS. Maybe it was my 2011 experience, maybe the thought of running in 100+ degree canyons. Whatever the reason, there are many races I’d rather do than Western. Even if I don’t get into Hardrock, I would like to spend much of my summer running in the mountains of Colorado. By running Western States, I would be eating into the best running time in the Rockies. Also, I can’t (with a good conscience) put my name into the lottery if I’m not 100% committed. If I were to get drawn and not run, I would be taking someone’s spot. I don’t want to do that. Instead, I’ll go play in the San Juan Mountains and watch WS on the Internet. Best of luck to everyone who applies.


(2011 Western States Champion Kilian Jornet at Foresthill - Mile 62)

(Crewing at the 2011 Western States 100)

No comments:

Post a Comment